We implement systems to identify risks and the causes of incidents, and to implement controls to prevent those incidents from recurring. Our primary safety risks are falls-of-ground and transport and we have specific, high-priority programmes in place to address these.
All safety-related incidents are reported, investigated and analysed for trends and/or anomalies.
Risk management is a critical area of focus at all levels of the organisation. Our skills development programme empowers all employees to address risk and specific hazards in their workplaces.
We identify sub-standard and high-risk conditions on a continuous basis, and rank workplaces based on observed risks. Management regularly visit the 10 workplaces with the highest risk ranking across all our operations and these, and appropriate actions to be taken, are discussed regularly at executive level.
We believe that leading indicators are a proactive means of improving safety. We identify report and monitor the following leading indicators on a monthly basis:
- Safety leadership acts, which are formal safety engagements with employees in the workplace.
- Close-out of all safety actions.
- Risk management training.
- Maintenance delivered to programme.
- High-potential incident reporting and investigation. We treat high potential incidents in the same way as incidents that have resulted in injuries.
- Safety competence/ training.
- Improving the quality of risk management.